Below are some frequently asked questions about studying and living in Singapore.

1. How much money is needed for my monthly living expenses?

The amount varies with individuals. It is estimated that a sum of S$12,000 to S$15,000 per annum is required to cover the living expenses in each year of study.

The following can be used as a guide.

Item Estimated Monthly Expenses
Accommodation (shared) $350 – $700
Food $250 – $350
Public transport $80 – $120
Books, stationery, photocopying $50 – $100
Personal expenses Varies with individuals

Please note that the amount needed is dependent on personal requirements and lifestyles.

2. I would like to work part-time in Singapore. How do I go about doing this?

A Student Pass is granted to you solely for the purpose of full time studies in Singapore. As such, you are strictly not allowed to engage in any form of employment, whether paid or unpaid, or in any business, profession or occupation in Singapore during the validity of your Student Pass, unless you have the consent in writing of the Controller of Immigration.

3. What kind of clothing and personal stuff should I bring along?

Singapore is generally hot all year round. Lightweight clothing will generally be sufficient with perhaps a light jacket or sweater for use during lessons in the air-conditioned rooms. Personal effects can be bought from the many conveniently located shops in Singapore.

4. Can tuition fees be paid in instalments?

You can pay the tuition fees on a term basis by enrolment.

5. The tuition fees are quite high. Are there any tuition fee loans available to me?

There are no tuition fee loans or financial assistance for international students at the moment. You should make plans to ensure that you will have sufficient financial resources to see you through your studies in Singapore.

6. When are exam/study and term breaks? How long is the term break?

The term break starts right after exams. Depending on the different programmes, each term break typically lasts from 2 weeks to 2 months.

7. Will there be any make-up classes if class falls on public holidays?

Public holidays would have been taken into account before the start of every course. Classes that fall on public holidays will be made up and students will be notified upon receipt of timetables.

8. How is my attendance computed?

Your attendance will be taken during school term only. If you are absent without any valid reason (i.e. sick leave) your attendance will be marked 0.

9. Can I take leave to go back my hometown during school term? If so, should I apply before my departure?

We strongly discourage this as your academic progress will be disrupted. However, we understand that there might be some compelling reasons for such requests. As such, we will reconsider these requests on a case-by-case basis. You have to submit the leave application form (duly completed) attached with return air-ticket at least 2 weeks before their departure date. Any leave application after departure date will not be attended.

10. How do I know if my application has been successfully received or submitted?

You will receive a conditional letter of offer from your agent or us by email or fax informing you that your application has been received and processed.

11. Can I request for deferment of my course? Would the school be able to reserve the place for me?

Such arrangements will only be considered on a case-by-case basis. You will have to make a formal application in writing to SAA Global Education.

12. What’s the procedure to cancel my Student Pass? Does ICA issue any letter to us after cancellation?

According to ICA’s guidelines, international students are required to surrender their Student’s Pass for cancellation within 7 days from the date of cessation or termination of their study. The application of Student Pass cancellation can be submitted through e-Cancellation via SOLAR+. For those who are unable to submit cancellation online, you may submit over the counter. Required documents for over counter submissions are stated as follow:

  • A letter from the school about the completion of the course/ termination of the course and cancellation of the Student Pass
  • Passport
  • Student Pass (IMM Form 17A)
  • Student’s Visit Pass and disembarkation/embarkation card
  • A duly completed disembarkation/embarkation card (IMM form 27A), where applicable (will be provided at ICA counter)

Upon cancellation, ICA will provide the student a cancellation letter.

13. If I were to withdraw from my course, what is the refund policy?

Please refer to Course Policies.

14. Choosing a Private Education Institute (PEI): What Prospectus Students Must Ask

Please refer to Checklist

15. Do I have to fill in the Enrolment Form again if I am a continuing student?

The previous Enrolment Form was recorded for your previous module/paper enrolment.

16. Do you have a Lost and Found Box?

There is a Lost and Found box located at the Reception where students, staff and lecturers can return or retrieve their items.

17. Do you have any Funding available?

For more information on Funding Schemes available, please visit: https://saage.edu.sg/funding-schemes/

18. How can I apply for a Letter of Certification?

Students will be required to fill in a Course Request Form for Deferment indicating their reason and submitting any supporting documents. The request will be submitted to the Management Team for approval. There is an admin fee chargeable for the Issuance of Letters.

19. How can I apply for Leave of Absence?

Students will have to submit an Application for Leave of Absence together with the necessary documents for approval.

20. How can I apply for Transfer/Deferment of Course?

Students will be required to fill in a Course Request Form indicating the reason for the request and submit the supporting documents. The request will be submitted to the Management Team for approval.

21. How can I retrieve the Assignment Cover Sheet?

The Cover Sheets are available at our Reception or you could request for SAA-GE to send it to you via email. Please email our Student Support & Services at studentservices.sg@malvernplc.com.

22. How do I go to the Campus from Somerset MRT Station?

Please go to Exit A of the MRT Station and the TripleOne Somerset building is located on the right.

23. How long will it take for my Course Request Form to be reviewed?

Depending on the purpose of your submission, it make take 7 to 28 days.

24. How long will it take to apply for Leave of Absence?

It is estimated to take a maximum of 3 working days.

25. How much are the Course Fees?

The Course Fees are located in the “Fees” tabs under each of the Courses.

26. Is WIFI available?

Yes, students can contact the staff at the Reception for the WIFI password.

27. May I know where the Restroom is located?

The Restroom is located next to the Sentosa Classroom #04-21.

28. May I purchase the Lecture Notes even though I am not attending the class?

The Lecture Notes are only available for sale for SAA-GE registered students.

29. What are the Course Durations?

The Course Durations are located below the introductory paragraphs in each of the Courses.

30. What are the payment modes available?

Students can make payment via Cash, NETS, Cheques are to be made payable to “SAA Global Education Centre Pte Ltd”, Credit Cards (Visa/ Master Card/ UnionPay), Telegraphic Transfer or SAA-GE Course Fee Deferment Memo. SAA-GE does not accept payment in foreign currencies.

31. What are the Scholarships available?

For more information on Scholarship, pelase visit: https://saage.edu.sg/scholarships/

32. What is covered under my Medical Insurance?

International Students are covered by our Medical Insurance. For more information visit: https://saage.edu.sg/quality-assurance/.

33. What is the Operating Hours of the Reception?

We are open from 8.30 am to 7.30 pm on Mondays to Fridays and 10.00 am to 3.00pm on Saturdays. We are closed on Sundays and Public Holidays. If there are any changes to our operating hours, we will indicate it on our Social Media and Website.

34. What is the purpose of the CPE Student Contract?

The student contract is a critical document that governs the relationship between the private education institution (PEI) and the student. Prospective students should therefore understand and agree to the terms and conditions stated in the student contract before signing it.

35. When can I make payment for my Course Fees?

Students will have to sign a Student Contract with SAA-GE before you can make payment for the Course Fees.

36. When do I need to apply for Leave of Absence?

Students should apply for leave when they are not able to attend classes or report to school as per timetable.

37. When will I receive my Lecture Notes?

Your Lecture Notes and Study Materials (if applicable) will be distributed during the first class.

38. When will my Examination Results be released?

For Courses administered by SAA-GE, the Examination Results will be released within 6 weeks. For Courses administered by other professional bodies, please check on their respective websites.

39. Where can I find the Timetable?

The Timetables are located in the “Timetable” tabs under each of the Courses or https://saage.edu.sg/timetable/.

40. Where can I print Documents and what is the cost?

There are 2 printers located at the Reception where you will be able to pay for your own print. For Black and White Printing: A4 is S$0.10 per page while A3 is S$0.20. For Colour Printing, A4 is S$0.50 per page while A3 is S$1.00.

41. Where can I see the Lecturer's profile?

The lecturer’s profile is located at https://saage.edu.sg/faculty/.

42. Where is my class located at?

There is a television screen located in the Student Lounge where you are able to check the Classroom Schedule.

43. Where is the Campus located at?

The Campus’s address is 111 Somerset Road, TripleOne Somerset, #04-25, Singapore 238164.

44. Where is the Examination being held?

There is a televesion screen located in the Student Lounge where you are able to check the Classroom Schedule.

45. Which Accounting course should I study in?

Prospective students may wish to visit https://saage.edu.sg/courses/ for more information on each of the Courses. Should you have any further enquiries, please feel free to email to enquiry.sg@malvernplc.com.

46. Who is the Lecturer teaching my class?

The lecturer’s names are indicated in the timetable.

47. Why did my Course Request get rejected?

Your Course Request is submitted to the Management Team for Approval based on your reason for your request and the submitted supporting documents. Should your reason be invalid or if you provided insufficient supporting documents, the Management Team may reject your request.

48. Why do I need to provide my Academic Transcript?

This is need to verify the student have the academic background to join the programme

49. Why is NRIC required for registration/enrolment?

This is required for verification purposes and under regulation 21(1)(c)(ii) of the Private Education Regulations, registered private education institutions are required to keep proper records of their enrolled students’ NRIC number, amongst other information.

50. Will there be any replacement classes available for missed lessons?

For ACCA/CAT classes, there may be replacement classes available if there is an alternative class being carried out. Please fill in the Course Request Form and submit the relevant supporting documents for approval.

1. How can I apply for Student's Pass?

Please visit the following link for the step-by-step guide: https://saage.edu.sg/international-application/.

2. How can I renew my Student's Pass?

Student’s Pass Renewal is strictly for students who have insufficient validity to continue their studies. Students will have to fill in the Student’s Pass Renewal Form, submit the necessary documents and pay the Student’s Pass Renewal Fee.

3. How long does it take to apply for Student's Pass?

It will take an estimated of 4 to 6 weeks for the results to be released by the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA).

Overseas Representative

View the list of our overseas representatives here.